Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:12AM
Here's last year's resolution thread: http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=338911 ... so, how'd you do? What's the plan for 2013?
Year in review:
1/2 Jan 1-4 Royalty bug based on modified RC chart appears link link
1/3 JJRD discusses 2012 and the Minilypse program link
1/9 rogermexico unveils the new contributor newsletter link
1/12 Le Corbusier proves to be an IP issue on iStock and Getty link
1/19 Saying goodbye to JJRD link
1/20 A new look at the content department link
1/24 General Update from iStockHQ link
1/26 All royalties drop to base level link
1/27 Jan 26-27 royalty bug fixed link
3/30 iStockalypse Berlin announced link
4/23 Logos and PNG initiatives killed / Getty and Zazzle/Cafe Press / Jan 26-7 retro-royalty payment link
5/1 Buyers unhappy at price increases link
5/7 Release of iStock plugin for Adobe products link
5/22 Carlyle Group to buy Getty link
5/28 Editorial landing page added link
6/5 rogermexico unveils iStock Fuel link
6/12 Digital releases now accepted / avoid car air fresheners link
6/25 Moo cards cut / Connect by Getty / E+ to Getty started / Attempts to fix Jan 1-4 royalty bug link
7/18 vectorbomb reports extensive refunds link
8/15 More on Carlyle buying Getty link
8/23 New Shopping Cart - Credit Card Sales announced / Text in Illustrations link
8/29 rogermexico debuts mobilestock and weather briefs link
9/4 Shopping Cart goes live - image zoom and other features unavailablelink
9/14 Follow Up to Shopping Cart issues link
10/11 Add to lightbox returns / September performance / change in editorial logo policy link
11/1 Credit card sales now showing in my_uploads link
11/1 rogermexico leaves iStockphoto
11/6 Discussion on changes to ASA regarding total/net link
11/14 Open discussion starts on the BM sort link
11/16 Scam site appears using iStock in name link
11/18 retro payments from Jan 1-4 bug sent individually to affected
11/22 Royalties drop to base level link
11/28 oldladybird announces that retro payments for people who achieved higher levels in 2012 were sent link
11/29 Image zoom / holiday payout / fraud / technology update link
12/3 Frustrated buyer posts about site link
12/7 rrockafellar initiates new discussion on communication link
12/7 Image zoom returns link
12/11 iStockLawyer discusses NET, fraud, foreign currencies link
(Edited on 2012-12-21 09:12:51 by sjlocke)
(Edited on 2012-12-21 09:18:09 by sjlocke)
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:16AM
Thats a full list there my friend speechless
(Edited on 2012-12-21 09:18:12 by jjneff)
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:22AM
Sean, thanks for the summery.
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:49AM
Great list Sean. I've not bothered uploading any video, couldn't stay still long enough myself! . Uploaded over 100 images this year, not great should have at least doubled that up. Actually have had less downloads this year than last so not looking good.
Next year - I've another month to go to finish up a Photoshop course i'm doing. Then throughout next year i aim to upload at least 561 images to double my portfolio. Will add more local content images, more evening/night time images around town. Do some creative shoots. Also plan to cycle/camp my way around Ireland in May for 3-4 weeks and hopefully capture some great scenic images along the way to upload, also get some fitness back!
That's all folk .
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:50AM
Started employing models from a few UK agencies these past few months.Enjoying it and hopely the sales will continue in 2013 so the new investment will be recouped.
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:08AM
Great summary, thanks, it will be useful to me to find stuff I haven't read yet (e.g., the 8/29 mobilestock introduction). Any reason the latest BM thread was not mentioned?
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:20AM
Excellent summary to have Sean, thanks. Only thing I can think to add would be the 'Royalty Rates Rollover' announcement on 19th December.
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:25AM
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:44AM
Last year I wrote this:
In 2012, I resolve:
To get healthier. To have more holidays. To count my blessings more. To not moan so much about TPTB.
I failed completely to get healthier/have more holidays because I had too many accidents/operations/etc. I also failed to stop moaning about TPTB - with good reason!
So - in 2013, I resolve:
• To finally get healthier.
• To definitely have more holidays.
• Not to leave exclusivity - just yet, anyway.
• Work even harder to try to stay at my current royalty level.
• To count my blessings even more. Because no matter how bad things get - and they have been bad over the last two years - there's always someone worse off.
• To moan about TPTB when necessary.
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:58AM
Just quit my Photo and Video exclusivity today/yesterday... sadly but it's not working for me anymore... If Istock get better in 2013 I'll be more than willing to come back and be exclusive again! So, HQ should chime into this thread Great people here! Great people! Still audio exclusive! I hope that wont change in 2013!
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:04AM
My resolution for 2012 was having ONE Vetta accepted in the collection. I had 43 Vetta and 2 Agency accepted. I am happy.
In 2013 I want to reach 40% so 125000 RC is the target!
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30AM
I would like to finally overcome my fears of photographing people and get more creative by exploring human emotions.
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39AM
Last years plan for 2012:
"Resolutions for 2012: Focus as much energy as I can on the things under my control. Let the rest slide. Continue to grow my business. Play more."
And made it to two Minilypses that were anything but mini. Interesting and fun.
Did more and bigger stock shoots this year. Fewer weddings but earning more per, liking that balance. Also picked up more traction with commercial clients including a contract to shoot for a magazine. First book cover this year!
Lot's to be thankful for in 2012. Going to stick with the same approach to 2013.
Happy Holidays and Best Wishes to all for the coming year!
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:47AM
i didnt know about rogermexico leaving, not many of the old school left now
my aim is to give it a few months i should have a good idea how the land lies, if i dont achieve 3000 + RCs by the end of March 2013 then i must be strong and drop the crown. Tally Ho
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:32PM
Goals for 2012:
1000 uploads, hitting silver, making 30% royalties and adding 6 Vetta. I should hit 400 uls and I added 12 Vettas, not even close to the other two.
Improve my photography, add 400 photos, 12 Vetta and 30% royalties. Fingers and toes crossed!!
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:33PM
Goals for 2011:
Probably won't quintuple my port again this year, so I'll settle for triple. (CHECK - Went from 243 to 813 as of today.)
Keep the Q filled - even at 30 or 60 or whatever it will be. (NO - Never have been able to keep 60 in the queue - been over 20 several times and rarely had absolutely nothing in the queue - but I could have been more productive.)
Sell editorial. (CHECK - Currently 116 Editorial images for sale - 112 editorial licenses sold in 2011)
Learn how to sell pictures like Sean eats cheese. (Nope. Still plenty of time to keep learning while I'm enjoying cheese. But I did triple my DL's in 2011. Just over 1000 at the moment - turned exclusive with 252 DL's on January 2, 2011.)
Stay fit. Be reasonable. Have fun. (CHECK on the first - crossfit workouts three times a week. One or two people hanging around here might give me half a check or so on the other two)
GOALS for 2012:
1. Stay focused. (CHECK)
2. Attend my first Lypse of any sort. Scheduled for May. (CHECK - SnSLypse in Nashville, TN.)
3. Achieve 30% commission rate. (CHECK - and more than doubled my iStock income over last year. 2012 $$ total will end up being ~225% of 2011 $$.)
4. Increase from 50 UL average per month in 2011 to more than 75 each month in 2012. (Nah. Unrealistic. - Went from 813 to 1208 as of today. Averaged ~33 Uploads per month in 2012)
5. Keep acceptance rate above 75%. Don't want to waste my time or theirs. (CHECK. 79+% as of today.)
6. 3500 total DL's = 2500+ in 2012. (Nope, not even close. Regardless of any/all site problems, this was an unrealistic stretch on my part. But still plenty of time to keep learning in 2013. While I continue enjoying cheese. More than doubled DL total in 2012. Just below 2100 at the moment.)
7. Stay fit. Be reasonable. Have fun. (Still doing three intense workouts every week.) (Still trying.) (Usually succeeding.)
Goals for 2013:
1. Stay focused.
2. New camera body. (CHECK - 5DIII purchased Dec 18, 2012.)
3. Attend at least two lypses.
4. Double total number of DLs. (C'mon iStock, you can help here!! )
5. Maintain 30% commission level. At least.
6. Double income. At least.
7. Upload. Better stuff. Consistently. At least 30 per month.
8. Acquire stronger lighting and lighting accessories. Soon.
9. Practice. Practice. Practice.
10. Stay fit. Be reasonable. Have fun
(Edited on 2012-12-21 12:37:29 by Willowpix)
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:29PM
Double my rpi with the same quantity - Close on the rpi, quantity highest ever by 30%
Reach the next RC level... I know I'm being super-ambitious this time - uh. no, but closer than I thought I'd be.
Buy an uber-cool tripod - yep, last week.
Eat less cheese - mostly gave up dairy actually
Reach the next RC level
Increase sales by 30%
Go to Evelyn's minilypse
Train kids in the family business
Take a long summer road trip
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:01PM
1. Put more of my effort towards rights managed.
2. Stop reading the BM discussion thread.
3. Reach my next RC level.....could be difficult with #1.
4. Do a century bike ride.
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:54PM
I don't think I contributed to last years thread - I don't recall having any specific resolutions!
However in 2012, I:
1. Closed my studio.
2. Quit shooting portraits/headshots/any other grunt-work, meaningless photography.
3. Ditched Canon for Fuji.
In 2013, I plan to:
1. Shoot only what, where and when I want - clients can work around my schedule or not at all... I don't care either way.
2. Start another Masters Degree program.
3. Shoot more work internationally.
4. Take advantage of the free darkroom that I have available to me!
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:04PM
This is brilliant. Thank you for pulling all those links together, Sean, and the link to last year's thread. Looks like I didn't make any resolutions for 2012, although I found the ones I made for 2011:
Resolutions for 2011:
small goal: 1,000 new video clips
large goal: double portfolio size
other: at least two dedicated istock shoots per month
I don't think I managed the "small goal" in either 2011 or 2012. This year, I've added somewhere between 500-600 new clips (some still in the queue). Didn't manage the "large goal" either. It seems pretty ambitious in hindsight
Two dedicated istock shoots per month? Yes! I actually achieved that and have been continuing throughout 2012.
In 2013, I plan to:
1. Add at least 700 new clips to my portfolio
2. Three stock footage shoots each month, with at least one studio shoot
3. Start using a dedicated make-up person
4. Find a stylist to start working with
5. Learn more After Effects and produce more clips using that software as a source, in addition to the way I use it already for compositing and clean up
6. Do more writing.
(Edited on 2012-12-21 18:04:44 by vesperstock)