Posted Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:31PM
I've been in contact with several iStocker's in the area kicking around the idea of a minilypse this fall (some have branded it the Chessielypse, since this region of Maryland (USA) centers on the Chesapeake Bay. I've come up with some ideas for a Friday evening, Saturday, Sunday event, and I was hoping to get some feedback from those who might be interested in participating, along with constructive criticism for the
tentative schedule, and suggestions for any holes I've got, or alternate activities than the ones I have planned.
Friday evening (Baltimore, MD):
· Meet in Baltimore Harbor to shoot the city buildings and capture the city lights and inner harbor as the sun goes down.
· Get dinner at some nearby restaurant.
· (Need input here) Possibly some iStocker knows of a nice location in the city, like their company office or some place where we could shoot some business scenarios, possibly using models, or taking turns with each other shooting and posing. If we have access to an ideal location, we won’t have trouble finding models in Baltimore, and hopefully we can get some help from iStock for the fees?
Saturday (Annapolis, MD):
· Meet in Annapolis Harbor (maybe at the town dock, aka: Ego Alley)
· Walk and shoot historic Annapolis. Lunch along the way.
· Work our way over to St John’s College. Shoot on the college grounds. With the possible help of a friend of mine who works there, possibly gain access to some buildings of interest… (I’m not counting on this.)
· Walk to the US Naval Academy to shoot the grounds. Ideally I’ll have cleared ahead of time that we can gain access to the beautiful chapel and other possible
· 2 hour “Sunset Cruise” on the Woodwind Schooner out of Annapolis, heading out of the Severn River and out on the Chesapeake Bay, returning with the sun setting behind the state capital building, the Navy chapel, etc. Many possible photo ops of boats on the bay, in the harbor, and of each other on the boat. ($34/person)
· Walk to dinner at a nearby restaurant. Crabs & beer anyone?
· (need input here) Possibly a studio lighting tutorial, shooting at some location in the vicinity… Does anyone have access to a decent size office, or space to set up lights and backdrops, or a place to shoot with the location as the background?
Sunday (Chestertown, MD):
· (Pending likely permission, I can possibly arrange use of much of Washington
College’s buildings & grounds)
· Meet at Washington College & shoot the historic campus (established in 1782).
· Possibly (not as likely, but I can inquire), depending on the number of participants, we may be able to use a power boat or two from the boat house on the Chester River to shoot some wildlife, boating activity, and “bay living” type shots from the river. I’m not counting on this, just in case it’s a no go.
· Possibly have an Apple representative come to demonstrate using Aperture in your digital darkroom. (I’ve been talking to an Apple rep, and he feels this is likely to be available to us. I just want to make sure it’s a worth while workshop, not just sales pitch.)
· Studio lighting demo/instruction from some experienced iStockers. From the brief discussions I’ve had with some folks in the area, we have several sets of studio lights available to us. Ideally, (again, permission pending), we’d have 3 sets of lights set up. I’d like to have a classroom available to us to shoot some “classroom scenario” shots, hiring models for this shoot. In another room, we could have a large white background for isolated shots. Depending on the number of iStockers we have involved, we might use this as a “warm up” room, where we can shoot each other, have a hands on to learn lighting options/variations, etc… This would keep us all shooting and productive while we waited for out turns to direct and shoot the models. In the practice room, we can also have a table and smaller white backdrop for
shooting, and practice lighting for object/product photography. We can eventually move the models in to the white backdrop room to shoot them on an isolated background. We can have Pizza delivered for this part so we don’t break our rhythm.
I’m open for other suggested activities, offers for locations to shoot, etc. If anyone knows good models in the area who are willing to work for free or cheap, that would be great. Anyone have access to props / clothes for the models…
So, who’s interested? I’d like to arrange to have this take place on a weekend in the fall with the trees in peak fall colors, or as close as we can predict. Anyone have any dates that do or don’t work for them?
What am I forgetting?
I don’t mind organizing and running things on Saturday and Sunday, but I’d like to get someone else to volunteer for Friday afternoon / evening’s events in Baltimore. I don’t know Baltimore as well as some others probably do, and it would be nice to share this event coordination with someone else.
(Edited on 2006-07-05 07:05:34 by bpalmer)
Posted Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:11PM
Sounds like a lot of fun to me. I'm in! Maybe we can get some models dressed like midshipmen for the US Naval Academy portion? Any chance for a crabbing photoshoot? If the weather does not cooperate, do we still do everything, or do we try have some indoor alternatives as a backup? I'm not a great organizer, but happy to help out in anyway I can.
Posted Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:14PM
Whew! Brian, you've certainly put a lot of thought into this! I'd like to volunteer the Friday Baltimore thing but I will begin earlier in the day...say by noon... with those people who can take off work on Friday. Some ideas:
1. An old graffiti-filled fort...a good setting for some interesting shots. We could determine meeting place where some can park cars and then we can car pool...will make it easier. It might even be possible for me to borrow a mini-van.
2. Fells Point - interesting historic area and lots of good pubs.
3. Greenmount Cemetery where John Wilkes Booth and other well-knowns are buried.
4. Federal Hill,south Baltimore, Fort McHenry
5. End up to meet at inner harbor with those who could not take off work.
My husband gives tour of Baltimore to new people hired by the Sun where he works, so he knows Baltimore well and is attuned to photo ops after hanging around me for so long. It may be possible also to walk through the newspaper office and look at some of the wonderful photos taken by Sun photographers all around the world.
How does this sound to start off a fantastic weekend? (hopefully without rain!)
Posted Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:52PM
Check out my Baltimore and Maryland lightboxes...as well as others:
Posted Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:19PM
mmmmmmmm, I so love Baltimore ; wonder if the Visionary Museum would open that incredible, immense space they have (that separate building with the huge chess game) for stock photography ?
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:33AM
Definitely interested! Thanks Brian for the effort you have already put into this, and to Bonnie (EyeJoy) for the head's up. I'll have to arrange some vacation days from work so the sooner we have the dates pinned down the better for me. Mid-October is the peak fall color season according to a google search. Thanks so much for getting this started.. can't wait!
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:05AM
JJRD - The Visionary is one of my favorite places! when was the lat time you were there? The "barn" no longer has the huge chess game but a new building exhibits a huge bra ball by Emily Duffy. (On July 22, there will be a Bra Ball, a huge outrageous event where everyone will be wearing a visible bra somewhere, somehow.) The Visionary rents space for wedding events but it comes with a high price.
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:22AM
Wow, this is neat! I would love to be there, but will neat ample time to plan for it, I may make it or miss it, depends on the flight schedule my company puts me on, so no promises yet, but will surely try my utmost best, I was in Baltimore and had a wonderful time there with EyeJoy.
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:14AM
Let's try to set a date early enough so Jet (Nikontiger from Singapore) can be with us. He visited me at the beginning of May and we explored Baltimore for a brief time. Maybe he will even bring his beautiful wife. I've already offered him a place again to stay at my house. I hope he can come...you all will be glad you met him too. (If he can't come, I will offer a place to stay for single or couple at my modest house.)
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:31AM
Last time I went to Balto was in 2002 so yeah guess it's been a while ; the area next to the ''barn'' was like an open ground and some friends and I did a performance there out of the blue in the context of The High Zero Festival, a major event in the world of improvised, experimental music. The people at the Visionary were quite cool with that... enjoyed it frankly.
How about that space... it's quite pretty (or was ).
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:24PM
Eyejoy, that would be great if you could run Friday's events. I hope to be able to make it for the whole day... sounds like you have some great ideas!
Qingwa, good to bring up alternate plans for foul weather... With so much of it currently taking place outdoors, it could be a nightmare with a weekend of downpouring.
Sounds like we have some great ideas flying out there... Keep 'em coming!
To set a date in mid October, can we agree on the 20-22?
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:54PM
This sounds like a lot of fun....I particularly like the way 'pubs' seem to be featuring in the planning. It would be terrible to become dehydrated and miss some of the event! Seriously - sounds good to me. I've not ilipsed, elipsed or stockalypsed before so having an event more or less on the doorstep is a great idea. For me 20th- 22nd of October will probably work OK.
Brian - thanks for the organization and Bonnie thanks for putting me onto this. I don't know either Baltimore or Annapolis that well so I'm not going to be contributing too many ideas I'm afraid - but judging by what I've read so far there are plenty out there anyway!
(Edited on 2006-06-24 14:55:05 by MichaelFrancis)
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:55PM
I put in a vote for October 20 - 22 too! Might that work for you Jet? How about everyone else? Frequently that's the best weekend for colors. If we were to put it off until the last weekend in October, too many people are busy with their kids' or their own Halloween costumes and parties.
JJRD - The Visionary has built a huge addition on the lot just beyond the "barn." That's where workshops and major parties are now held. It also houses exhibits. Open ground? Hmmm...well Federal Hill park is just across the street. I think the Theatre Project is involved with the High Zero Festival and they are off center just as the Visionary...so, of course, they'd be supportive of it.
Do you mean the concrete space with sort of a small amphitheatre that is between the mail building and the barn? Or do you mean the grassy area across the street? (Federal Hill)
(Edited on 2006-06-24 16:56:51 by EyeJoy)
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:00PM
The weekend of October 20-22 works for me.
Posted Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:31PM
Oh, looks very promising, that way, I have enough time to bid for a flight to make this work for me, thanks very much!
Posted Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:16PM
Hmmm... that's my wedding anniversary weekend. I'll see if I can pull some strings, I'd really like to attend/help since I'm close by.
Posted Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:48PM
We really hope you can pull some strings and make it too! You have so much to share with us!! Let us know how things go.
Posted Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:53AM
It appears that ya'll are all exclusive. Is it a requirement that you be exclusive to join a lipse event? If not then I would deffinately be interested in this. I live in Dover, DE. so commute into Baltimore / Annapolis is very appealing.
Posted Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:32AM
Of course not! You don't have to be exclusive. Motoed, I feel bad about the conflict over your anniversary. We could do it the last weekend in October if that suits the majority. I'd have to give up some tentative plans but it's not as important as an anniversary. On the other hand, maybe you could celebrate it twice as big the weekend before or after. What does everyone else think about the tentative dates?
(Edited on 2006-06-26 12:19:22 by EyeJoy)
Posted Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:02PM
I can work with any weekend in October. My only request is to that we pin it down as early as possible so that I can make arrangements... probably like everyone else involved too, eh?
As for the exclusive status, well just give it a few days and my little crown will go * poof *. (Y'all please don't hate me!) I have agonized over this decision, especially since I'm about a week away from my next canister.... silver, is it? But my collection of rejected submissions has grown to the point where I think I might can do better by expanding a bit. Anyway, that's where I am at the moment. Glad to hear that we non-exclusives will still be welcomed. And you won't be the only one, B_Shearer!
(Edited on 2006-06-26 13:31:06 by steps)