We're unable to process your download at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, contact us.
WAT PHUKHAO THONG
Wat Phukhao Thong or the “Monastery of the Golden Mount” is located off the city
island in the plains 2 Km northwest of Ayutthaya in Phukhao Thong sub-district.
The monastery was built by King Ramesuan (r. 1369-1370 / 1388-1395) in 1395. (1)
The actual temple’s name refers to the high chedi on its north east side. At the time of
construction of the monastery, this chedi was inexistent; hence the temple probably had
In December 1568 (Reign of King Mahin / r. 1568 - 1569) a large Burmese army
invaded Siam and positioned itself around Ayutthaya. The siege lagged on until 30
August 1569 and in the end the city fell through the treachery of Phya Chakri, a Siamese.
The invading Burmese forces ransacked and plundered the city, dismantled the defenses
and forcibly transported most of Ayutthaya’s population to Burma. King Bhureng Noung
(brother in law of Tabengshwethi) remained at Ayutthaya to witness the coronation of his
vassal, Maha Thammaracha (r. 1569-1590) and started the building of a Mon-Burmese
styled chedi to commemorate his victory over Ayutthaya. Bhureng Noung returned to
Hongsawadi around the period that the chedi’s base was constructed. King Maha
Thammaracha likely felt not too much excitement in continuing the construction of his
neighbors’ victory monument and the chedi was never finalized.