St Petersburg, Russia - August 4, 2011: Toursists watching the golden fountains of the Grand Cascade at the Peterhof summer palace near St Petersburgh, Russia. The original, more sparse, palace was built by Peter the Great in 1714 and was used as a summer residence for the Russian Tsars, although in the early stages, many of the fountains had not been installed and the Upper Gardens were used for growing vegetables and keeping fish. Further works were designed by the Italian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli under Elizabeth of Russia in 1744-5 with the addition of wings to the Grand Palace. Alterations to the building and fountains continued well into the 19th century. Today Peterhof (which is a complex of palaces) is one of the most popular tourist venues in Russia.