We're unable to process your download at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, contact us.
Seven Sisters Generating Station is Manitoba Hydro's largest producer of electricity on the Winnipeg River in southeastern Manitoba. Located about 90 kilometres (km) east of the City of Winnipeg, it is fondly and respectfully described by engineers who designed and built it as the river's mightiest generating station.The first stage, begun in July 1929, featured the construction of a powerhouse. When completed in August 1931, it housed the first three of six turbine generators (called units) which produced a total of 75 MW.
Stage two began later, in 1948, three years after World War II had ended. Inevitably, the war had delayed progress in the province's development, but during that time the demands for electricity had increased and two more units were installed at Seven Sisters. In 1952, the sixth and final unit was placed in service. These additional units doubled the generating station's total megawatt production. Image taken from a tripod.